Are you planning on getting fit this year? One problem with living in the UK is that we don't have the greatest of weather meaning that if you want to do any form of exercise you need to do it inside otherwise it’s likely that you will be doing it in the rain. This is where something like a running treadmill comes in handy as it can allow you to walk or run in the comfort of your own home meaning that just because it’s raining outside, does not mean that you cannot do your exercise.
Benefits Of Owning A Treadmill
Treadmills are a fantastic way to keep fit and are often the key to losing weight and improving your cardiovascular fitness as they allow you to do many different types of exercise from slowly walking which is great for those that are more mature and simply want to keep active, to fast running for those that are really trying to improve their fitness levels.
The other key benefit of owning a treadmill is that you can do exercise from the comfort of you own home meaning that even if it’s raining outside, you don’t have to get wet and can run or walk inside. Running on a running machine also means that you can listen to music of watch TV whilst you’re doing it and most importantly saves the cost of maintaining a monthly gym membership that can often run into the thousands of pounds each year.
Best Treadmill For Home
Best Running Machine
If you don't want to read the whole review, take a look at our top indoor running machine, the JTX Sprint 9 which might be slightly expensive but comes with a 3hp motor, flexi shock-absorbing running deck and gym specifications meaning that you will be getting a fantastic running machine that will provide you a great work out for years to come.
If you really cannot justify the JTX Sprints 9 price tag, then take a look at our value -for-money treadmill the Confidence Gtr Power Pro that offers a lot of the performance that we like to see on our favourite treadmill without the price tag.
- Speed of 1km/h to 12km/h.
- 40 CM Running Width
- 129CM Running Length
- Supports upto 120KG
- Adjustable incline with 3 incline levels
- Folding Design
- One Year Gaurentee
JTX Sprint 9
- Speed of 1km/h to 20km/h
- 52 CM Running Width
- 156CM Running Length
- Supports more than 150 kgs
- Includes Heart Rate Features
- 3 Year Warranty
What To Look Out When Buying The Best Treadmill
The important thing to remember is that we are all different meaning that what the best running machine for me, might not be the best treadmill for you as we all have different needs to aims to get out of doing exercise at home. Below we have tried to give you our thoughts on what you should be looking out for before you buy a running machine for home;
- Motor – Typically a running machine will have motor with a power output between 1 and 4 Horsepower, however advertisers will typically talk about “Continuous Power” for CHP rather than HP, however they are very similar. Realistically if you only plan to walk or lightly jog on your unit then you can get away with around 1.8-20CHP, however if you’re planning to do any form of running then you’re going to need at least 3CHP as a minimum for all but the lightest of runners.
- Noise – This is very important, as the last thing that you want is for your running unit to make so much noise that you cannot hear your music or TV in the background. Together with motor power, you also need to make sure that you buy a commercial quality motor as these tend to be quieter and avoid those running machines that have been designed for home use as they typically are much nosier.
- Track Length – Tracks typically range from 42 Inches to 65 Inches and whilst don’t really matter to much for smaller users, will really make a difference for taller users who will walk or run with a longer stride. Typically look for some over 55 Inches in Length as this will give you a balance between running and walking for small and large users.
- Track Width – This is not as important as length, however if you’re anything like us as you cannot walk, let along run in a straight line then you need to make sure that you buy a running unit with a minimum width of 20 Inches.
- Track Speed – Make sure that you buy a unit that comes with a top speed of at least 10 MPH as whilst 12MPH speed levels are available in the “home” range, they are more expensive and should only be bought for serious runners
- Track Cushioning – This is important as it no only saves the impact on your joints, but also helps reduce noise. Look out for units that come with adjustable cushioning and differential cushioning that supports the front foot and back foot separately.
- Incline – The dreaded incline helps to really strengthen those leg muscles and whilst most treadmills will get to a 15% incline, the better models will do this using an electronic motor, whilst the cheaper models will have to be done manually.
- Portability – This is something that you need to watch out for as whilst portability might seem a great idea, in our experience, portability simply meant that the treadmill was unstable and simply did not work well.
- Safety Feature – the key feature here is a “Stop” button meaning that the minute you press this button the whole unit stops. This is very important for elderly and runners alike and can be taken further with a “Stop Strap” meaning that if you fall the strap disconnects and the unit stops.
- Extra Feature – Treadbelt thickness helps with durability and quietness meaning that you need to look for something over 3PLY, as a minimum you should be looking at units that with a at least 15 programmable settings for walking and running and whilst in-built radio’s, TV stations might seem like gimmicks, if they help you to use your running machine then add these in as well.
- Warranties – As standard with any expensive machine, you need to make sure that you get a lifetime warranty as a minimum. More importantly, make sure that you can claim on your warranty if you need to as we have had reports of readers buying treadmills and cannot fined who to contact when they have problems.
The JTX Sprint 9 Treadmill
The JTX Sprint 9 Treadmill is best treadmill on the market right now and one that you're likely to find in your local gym due to the build quality and userability. During our research we spoke to gyms who use the JTX. Firstly they were all positive about the running machine, but they were all positive about it's build quality and trouble free userability.
If you're looking for the best treadmill to use at home, buy the JTX and you will not regret it. The treadmill comes with a stylish design and superior build qaulity. Running on the treadmill feels great mostly thanks to it's design which give you as the runner a feeling that it's not going to fall over or move around your room.
The treadmill comes with a 3hp electric engine which powers the 52cm wide, 150cm long running track. Build quality is something you seem mentioned a lot with this unit and nothing says it more than the upper weight limit of 150KG.
Running on the treadmill is brilliant thanks to it's flexi shock-absorbing running deck which provides running speeds up to 20KM/h, an incline of up to 15 degrees and a selection of running programs to help make running more enjoyable. They include the heart rate, 24 hill, interval, weight loss, or the incline combination. You can also customize it to serve you as you want it to.
Two points we really like, the treadmill comes with a home-use warranty lasting for 3 years, a money-back guarantee lasting for 28-days meaning that if you buy the treadmill, use it at home for a week and simply hate it, you can hand it back and get your money back.
As an added benefit, JTX also comes with fantastic customer service meaning that if you have a problem, pick up the phone and speak to people that actually know what they are talking about.
Overall the JTX is a fantastic indoor running treadmill that offers the ability to make indoor running enjoyable. We love the anti-shock running platform that make running easy on your knees if you're heavy or have not been running for a while and we love the fact that across the internet and all the reviews we could find, we did not see one bad review about the JTX. The only key problem is the price which does make you think about whether it's going to be worth it or not.
Confidence Gtr Power Pro Motorised Treadmill
We love the JTX running machine above, but the price does make you think whether it's worth it or not. If you decide that you simply cannot justify it, then take a look at this indoor running treadmill the Confidence Gtr Power Pro Motorised Treadmill which offer's a great indoor running machine at a value for money price tag.
The Confidence Gtr Power Pro Motorised Treadmill has been designed as a value for money treadmill and therefore does not come with either the sturdy design of the treadmill above, but still comes with many of the top features that make it among the best on the market.
The GTR Power Pro comes in parts, however it's quick to assemble using the tools provided. It weighs in at around 26KG, whilst comes with a running width of 40CM and a running length of 129CM which does not leave you much room to maneuver whilst you're running, but is still ample room to run or walk at home.
Once you're ready to go, switch on the treadmill and the three-second timer starts to countdown and the runner starts to move. The speed automatically starts at 1km/hr, although you can easily adjust it to the top speed of 12KM/h. The runner also comes with 3 incline levels that are also adjustable and 12 pre-set programs that give you flexibility when you need to operate it.
What we really like about the GTR Power Pro is that you can fold it up and easily store it when you're not using it which helps to save the same in your room.
Overall the GTR Power Pro is a great treadmill that makes a value for money treadmill. It's not perfect and we have heard reports of customers treadmills arriving with bit missing or parts damaged, however in our experience this is usually down to transport rather than design.
The other key problem is that it's not ideal for heavy runners and we struggled like crazy to get comfortable after a few minutes of running. It simply does not provide the cushioning that comes with the above model.
X-LITE II Treadmill
The X-Lite II is one of the smallest treadmills on the market and therefore is really only suitable for runners under 6 ft. It has been designed for home use. It can fit perfectly in your flats, smaller homes or flats. It offers an ideal functionality, which comes with some excellent features.
With 12 pre-set programs, this treadmill will help you exercise with flexibility. It is made with a potent motor of 1100W. The motor offers the treadmill with a 12km/hr. It also has three incline levels. The X-LITE II Treadmill has a classy design and it has been made with a system that is easy to operate. To use it, you will just need to roll it out. You can fold it back and create more space in your house if you are not using it.
You can monitor your calories, time, distance and speed, along with the heart rate. All this can be done using a button that makes it overly easy to use the treadmill. It has speed controls and heart rate sensors that let you monitor your heart rate with ease. The hand controls have been designed with professionalism and comfort.
You can control your entire workouts to get the best results in the shortest time possible. The running surface is 1.1 meters by 0.04 meters, so you have enough room for running. The treadmill has also been designed to boost the comfort, thanks to an excellent cushioning. It is a strong treadmill that can support a maximum of 120 kgs.
With the flexible workout programs and the three incline levels, you are sure of getting much from your exercises. It also comes at a reasonable price.
The Maxima Fitness MF-2000 ProFX
We love this treadmill given that it's a fantastic model and has received a number of positive reviews across the world by users and professionals alike. The thing that stops us giving it our top ranking is the price which is really quite steep and therefore only really makes sense if you're going to use it every day.
It has been built to last for long and also, it is suitable for anyone. You can also use it at home and everyone in the family can enjoy this treadmill. You can set it up easily and it has quite an easily understandable system. It is quite stable, and that is one of the things that you will notice when you step up on it.
We specifically love the interface on this treadmill which offers users a great user-friendly interface meaning that you can easily direct yourself around your treadmill whilst you're trying to program a specific program or change a filter whilst your running at the same time.
It has a smooth running surface that is also big enough to give you comfort and reliable results. Another special feature of this treadmill is that it has a mp3 input port. It also has fitted stereo speakers that allow you to enjoy your favorite music as you are working out. There is no any chance of getting bored when you are using this treadmill.
It has a top speed of 18 km/hr and can support a maximum of 120kgs. It has a motor and frame lifetime warranty, with a two-year warranty on labor and parts. The machine has 48 different programs that are also customizable.
It has a steel frame of 20 gauges, which makes it durable. You can be sure about using this treadmill for the longest time, without worrying about it breaking down.
Still Need Help Choosing A Treadmill?