Are you planning on heading off camping this year? You're going to need to buy the best family tent on the market to make sure that you have a comfortable nights sleep, although what's the best family tent? In this section we're looking at family tents and deciding which you should by and most importantly, which you should avoid.
We often go on about the old phrase, "Buy Cheap and Buy Twice" and when you're buying a tent, this phrase really counts. The last thing that you want is to buy a tent, and then find that the minute it starts raining, it starts to leak and you have a terrible night sleep all because your tents leaking water. The best advice that we got when buy our family tent, was to buy either from one of the Brand Name manufactures or at the very least, buy a tent that comes with good reviews from other users. Before you start looking for a tent to buy there are two things that you do need to consider - What's you're tent made of and What Type of Tent Do you Want?
The Best Family Tent
If you don't want to read the whole review, check out what we thought is the best family tent below. We chose the Skandika Nimbus 12 man tent given that it has performed well during our test's and offers performance and value for money. It's probably not the cheapest on the market, but does guarantee you a good nights sleep knowing that it's completely waterproof and flame retardant.
What's It Made Of?
Typically tents built in the last few years come with two layers, an outer layer which is also know as a fly sheet and an inner layer for sleeping. The layer of air between the two materials is there to keep you warm during the night and add as extra layer of protection from the outside elements. Tents are also made from a number of different material, each with there advantages and disadvantages.
- Cotton Cavas - Cotton fabric tents are fantastic and make excellent tents, however they have disappeared from the market over the last few years as they are very heavy and very difficult to keep maintained over a long period of time.
- Nylon Tents - Typically the top of the range tents will be made of Nylon, however the material will be coated with acrylic to make it more durable as the biggest problem with Nylon tents is that they are susceptible to damage from sunlight
- Polyester Tents - Nearly all the tents on the market that you see will be made of polyester as it not very expensive to make and much more durable that either Cotton or Nylon. It does not stretch or shrink and is not affected by sunlight and makes lightweight tents that offer both fantastic performance and more importantly, value for money.
The Family Tent Range
We reviewed a selection of the best family tents from across the market to come up with the top four models below. As mentioned, our favourite is the Skandika Nimbus 12 Berth family tent which offers a lot of flexibility for each of your children to have a separate room to sleep in whilst at the same time still allowing you somewhere to eat and cook. That all said, it's a big tent and for a lot of our reading they don't need such a big tent and as a result we have included a couple of other tents that you should look at if you're buying the best family tent on the market.
Types of Tent's
- Dome Tents - Typically this type of tent is very easy to spot as they look like a dome whilst offering the user a roomy, comfortable nights sleep. Typically this type of tent is used by backpackers as they lightweight and easy to carry. The downside is that they typically will be single room meaning that if you're with your family then it could be a tight squeeze.
- Cabin Tents - Typically these types of tents makes fantastic family tents as they offer a large space both in hight and width and are best used for groups or families. The main downside is that typically the there will only ever be one room meaning that if privacy is important to you, then probably this is not the tent for you.
- Inflatable Tents - have been designed to inflate upon arrival meaning that rather than you having to spend time building your tent, you can simple attach your tent to an electric pump and watch it inflate in front of you. This type of tent offer fantastic family use, but often you need to add air to the tend on a daily basis and given the pressures involved, heavy duty material is needed meaning that you don't want to carry this type of tent around in your rucksack.
- Roomed Tent - Typically this type of tent is the most common for family tents is it offers all the benefits of a regular cabin tent, whilst at the same time also allowing for separate sleeping and living areas meaning that if you're out with your family then you can all sleep in separate cabins.
Family Tent Reviews
Skandika Nimbus 12 Man Berth XXL Group Tent
The Skandika Nimbus 12 Man Berth XXL Group Tent is our favourite tent on the market today and an tent that looked after my family in the changeable Scottish Summer. It's comfortable and will keep you warm and night.
It might not be the cheapest or the lightest family tent on the market, but it did us well and gave us a comfortable nights sleep. More importantly so far it's lasted two summers of camping where we have had no problems with it at all and given that I don't see any wear and tear, i expect it's going to last a few more summers before we need to replace it. It does not leak and even on the cold nights offered amazing warmth.
This is a high quality group tent that comes with the best features for excellent functionality. It has a capacity of 12 berth and has sealed seams that are waterproof. The tent is very safe as it is made from fire retardant material. Its poles are color coded and has a hook for a lantern. This is the world’s best group tent that you can always use when you go camping.
The tent has a large capacity and therefore very spacious. It therefore implies that each and every one will have great comfort, making the ultimate group tent.
The group tent is made from materials that are waterproof. This makes the tent perfect for camping at any sight irrespective of the weather condition. With the coded poles, it will always ensure you are very safe all night long.
It has very excellent material that is not only waterproof, but also fire retardant. This is the best group tent that guarantees you a safe night. It provides beyond your expectations, hence a world-class group tent you can always rely on. The tent is also very safe from insects like mosquito as it has a mosquito mesh on the sleeping mesh.
The world-class tent has a high level of the water column of about 5,000 mm. This is a high level that is rare in very many group tents. It has colored coded poles and hook for a lantern.
One point to make, it's a large tent with a an easy sleeping capacity of 12 people. The point is, this type of family tent is perfect for large families, however do remember it's a marge tent and therefore do not expect to carry it on your back for a long period of time. The bad is pretty large and in total it's heavy.
We really like it for the key reason that each of our kids can have a separate room to sleep in and their is even a good space to cook, eat and relax. Get it today and you will definitely love it.
It's not ours, but there is a great video on youtube below - Click To Watch.
CampFeuer Tunnel Family Tent
The Skandika Nimbus Tent above is our favourite family tent, however the key problem when you're buying a tent such as the Skandika above is the size, it's a big tent and has been designed for a large family. For a lot of families, they simply do not want this amount of space and would prefer a smaller family tent.
This where the two tents below really come into play. The below two tents are both family tents, however they sleep 6 people and 4 people respectively. The CampFeuer Tunnel Family Tent is still a large and spacious tent and comes with two sleeping compartments. It has a dimension of 480 x 340 x 190 cm to the outside. The tent is made from high material with a groundsheet. It has a movable front wall that makes it very suitable for its functions.
The tent has two sleeping rooms that both can sleep three people or if you're camping as a family, it tends to be adults on one side, children on the other, which still allows you have your own privacy, whilst at the same time allowing for a place to cook and eat. Each compartment is very spacious, making it a great tent for any campsite.
The family tent comes with a number of key features to include a 5,000 mm hydrostatic head that makes it completely stable even when the wind starts to really push. It's also completely water proof, to include the movable entrance and ground sheet, and fire retardant which gives you peace of mind that you're going to be safe.
Overall the CampFeuer Tunnel Family Tent is a great medium sized family tent. If we have problems with it, it's really down the replacement of parts if they break. We have heard stories of readers that have broken poles and found it really difficult to get a replacement.
Coleman Ridgeline Plus Family Tent
The coleman has been design as a family tent that can sleep four people comfortably, whilst at the same time still being able to carry their their tent around if they want to move locations.
The tent has a large pitching surface of about 10.58 m squared. It also features a set-up of flysheet first that ensures that it is very safe. Besides the large pitching surface, it has a living area of about 3.68 m square and 5.88 m square in the sleeping area.
The tent has four rooms with two of them being the sleeping area. It is therefore suitable as you get to have your own privacy. The tent is also very safe and has a central living area where you can have common activities.
Spacious with Full Head Height - This tent has more than enough space in its living area that you can always keep some furniture like tables and chairs. While in the tent, you don’t have to keep on bending your head. This is because the tent has full head height and therefore very comfortable.
Double Door - The tent has two doors that make it very flexible. In case of bad weather at the campsite, you will easily find an alternative as you can always use the door that is safe depending on the weather condition.
Fireproof Design - The tent is very safe in case of fire outbreak in the campsite. This is because it is made from fire retardant material. Its poles are color coded and made of fiberglass.
The tent is therefore very safe and smart as it guarantees quality services. It is waterproof and fire retardant, hence a classic tent. With the two sleeping areas, you can always have your privacy and the double doors makes it even safer.
Notable Mentions - Family Tents
The above three family tents are brilliant tents, however there are few others that we have tested over the years that we think are cracking tents that you should take a look at if you're serious about buying family tent.
Coleman Coastline Deluxe Tent
Vango Farnham 500 5-Person Tunnel Tent
Coleman Instant Dome Tent
Need More Help Choosing A Family Tent
Check Out Our Other Product Reviews Below